For the Tempura Fish-Free Fillet:
2 x 120g packs Bonsan Kofu Fishfree Fillet
125g plain flour
1 tsp cornflour
1 pinch baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
230ml ice-cold sparkling water
Vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the dipping sauce:
2 tbsp Bonsan Chilli Sauce
4 tbsp Bonsan Cocomayo
⅛ tsp garlic powder
⅛ tsp onion powder
2 tsp lime juice
Pinch of black pepper, to taste
Pinch of salt, to taste
For the garnish:
Spring onion, sliced (to taste)
Fresh red chilli, sliced (to taste)
1. Slice the fish-free fillets into large chunks and set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the sparkling water until the batter becomes smooth.
3. Heat the vegetable oil to 180°C in a heavy based pan. Cover each fish-free fillet chunk in the tempura batter before carefully lowering into the hot oil and frying for 3-4 minutes until golden brown with a crispy exterior.
4. Remove the fish-free fillets from the oil with a slotted spoon and blot with some kitchen towel.
5. Make the dipping sauce by combining the ingredients together in a small bowl.
6. Serve the tempura fish-free fillet with the spicy cocomayo dipping sauce and top with sliced spring onion and fresh chilli. Enjoy as a delicious Asian-inspired starter!