250 g Plain Flour
1/2 teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
1 teaspoon Salt
226 g vegan unsalted Butter or neutral Oil, melted and cooled slightly (plus extra for greasing)
300 g Light Brown Sugar
2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
6 tablespoons Water
1 tablespoon Vanilla Extract
300g Bonsan Mylk Hazelnut Cocoa Spread
1/2 teaspoon coarse Salt for sprinkling on top (optional)
Serves: 20 pieces
1. Prepare the chia seed gel by mixing the chia seeds and water, and leaving it aside for at least 15-20 minutes (or overnight).
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan). Line a baking pan (20cm/8") with baking paper and grease with vegan butter or oil.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
4. In a separate large bowl, mix together melted vegan butter and brown sugar using a whisk. Add chia seed gel and vanilla and mix until combined. Using a spatula or wooden spoon, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir by hand just until combined.
5. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and use the spatula to evenly spread. Pour the Mylk Hazelnut Spread over the bottom layer of batter and spread evenly. Pour the second half of batter on top and gently smooth over with the spatula.
6. Bake for 35-37 minutes, or until the top is shiny and cracked, and feels firm to the touch. Sprinkle with sea salt immediately and cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into 4x4cm bars and serve. Enjoy!